Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolutions vs. Goals

I have been planning on writing this entry since Friday January 2, 2009. However, it took me forever to find a picture that I thought would go well with this entry. Yes, I take picture selection very seriously when it comes to my blog entries.

In any case it is day 4 in the year 2009. For some reason it does not really feel like a new year. Fireworks went off several nights ago, and idiots fired guns into the air (I mean seriously, where do they think these bulets go? Into outer space?) Yet, I don't feel like the dawn of a new year has arrived.

On new years day, I went to lunch with Johanna and we chatted about the past year. We both agreed that 2008 was not that bad. It was in this year that I saw myself spend over a year at my current job, spend more time with friends, lost weight, read more, write more, etc, etc. Not to mention that I did find love.

In short I really have no major complaints for the passing year, but that does not mean that I shouldn't look to the future. I really am not one to set New Year's resolutions. I have always felt that since most resoutions are forgotten by the end of January, that these resolutions are pointless. However, there is nothing wrong with setting goals for the new year.

Here they are my goals for the new year:

1) Have at least one piece published in 2009.It does not have to be my novel, but atleast a short story or something. I have one competition I plan on submitting a piece for on Jan 15.

2) Advance in my scholastic endeavors.I still have to figure out exactly what that means for me.

3) Go on another vacation. It took me years before I finally went on vacation to Seattle. I'm going to make sure that I don't let so much time go by before I take another much needed break. There have been talks of a cruise…

4) Grow in my spiritual life. There’s always room for growth.

5) Do something about my job. I really should not go into detail about this goal here, but I know what I mean.

There are a few others, but some of those are for me to know. In any case I wish everyone a Happy New Year. Here’s praying that 2009 will be bigger and better than 2008!

~~

1 comment:

Megan said...

Funny, I don't believe in resolutions either. I like that you've set goals for yourself though. I am now following through with my goals from 2008 - some of them take awhile to complete!