Monday, August 4, 2008

Self-Censorship & The Like

A little more than a week ago I went to San Diego with some really close friends of mine. The weekend was probably the best trip I ever had in San Diego. While out there one morning I decided to do a little mobile blogging while I was waiting for everyone else to feel like getting out of bed.

I posted a picture of myself and someone else (not to this blog, but to my Tumblr) and within minutes had a couple of comments about the picture. Everything was fine until some drama occurred later that evening regarding the whereabouts of the friend in the picture. After hearing all the garbage that was generated, I decided that it would be for the better if I went ahead and took the post down.

Even as I write this entry I have removed all identifying characteristics of the parties involved, and have included no names. I really do not like the fact that I feel like I have to censor myself. The whole purpose of me blogging is that I can write what I want and say what I feel until my heart's content. Now there is a person who is becoming an involved part of my life and I cannot comment on what's going on or how I feel about all that's going on.

Granted, he never asked me to watch what I say or what I write. That was my own decision, made out of respect for the sensitive nature of the events he is currently surrounded by. Not to mention the fact that I really do not want to be dragged through the grime that a particular person calls her life. I may be overreacting to a certain extent, given the fact that she may not think to check the pages and see what she may find. However, I felt that any precaution that I could take I should take, at least for now.

And I guess that's where I am going with this. The for now. I am willing to continue with the creative inhibitions for the moment, but this is temporary. As an artist, a writer, and the verbal person that I am, I can only contain myself for so long. When I reach that point, all bets are off...
~~

No comments: