Monday, December 22, 2008

My 2008 Favourite Christmas Moment...(thus far)

It's been a very stressful year, not just for me, but for everyone as Wall Street saw stocks tumble, prestigious banking institutions crumble and pink slips were handed out like free tickets to some crummy comedy show that now one wanted to see.

This has affected people in different ways. For me, I was so caught up in just dealing with life that I did not even realize that my favourite season had arrived. My last entry went on about how I've felt this Christmas, so I will not repeat myself. However, this weekend as I battled the crowds, whined about the cold, and just overall behaved the way a modern day multi-racial Scrooge would, I suddenly remembered a moment at Friday's Christmas party that not only made me smile, but kicked me into a more jovial mindset.

Last Friday was quite possibly one of the hardest days of work that I have had in a long time. Amidst the looming deadlines and demands, a group of us participated in a gift exchange. I had planned a particular gift for my Secret Santa (a Beatles Monopoly game), but I found they were out at the Barnes and Noble. As such I had tried to figure out a good gift for this individual. I really did not know him that well. There was an instance where we got into a long conversation about the Walrus, a song by The Beatles. So, I knew that he was a Beatles fan. While searching the music section of books, I found a huge book wrapped in cellophane entitled The Beatles Anthology. Supposedly, it was a book about The Beatles by The Beatles. I found the price, purchased the book and had it gift wrapped, all the while feeling a sense of apprehension about what I had purchased.

At the gift exchange I was really rushed. I was in between meetings and a training session I was running, all the while dealing with some extremely difficult clients. Once the gifts were all distributed, everyone tore into their gifts. Before even opening the bag I had in front of me, I glanced at my gift recipient with worry. However, the moment he got a portion of the wrapping paper off the gift his jaw dropped. He was so happy with the gift and I felt a burden being lifted from me.

Immediately following the gift exchange, I returned to the front lines once again as I was bombarded by calls, email, and other forms of correspondence. Every person wanted something and they wanted it 5 minutes ago, and I fell for it all, forgetting that magical moment that was bestowed upon me not so long ago.

Fast forward back to my weekend of shopping and moping and that memory came back to me of the gift exchange. It just reminded me of how great it feels to be able to give and to think of others, not only at Christmas but anytime. There have been many gifts given to me throughout the years, some good and some bad. The greatest being that of my wonderful Saviour for whom this holiday I celebrate. That moment during the gift exchange reminded me that I should be sure not to let life get in the way of...well life. I have been blessed in so many ways and through so many people. I just hope that I could be a blessing to others as well.

This was my favourite Christmas memory of the year....thus far.

~~

No comments: