Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No Dark Knight


I know, I know!!! It's one of the greatest Batman movies ever. I know, Heath Ledger gives an unbelievable performance as the Joker. I know it has smashed box office records and that every self-respecting comic book fan SHOULD go see this movie.

With all that said, I really have no desire to see The Dark Knight.

This has made me a pariah in some sense considering my coworkers' and friends' enthusiasim over the film. I cannot explain exactly why I do not want to see this movie, but I just cannot get into the hype. (Again this may go back to that anti-hype mechanism that has inexplicable developed over the years)

I have nothing against Batman. I loved the cheesy Adam West show that use to come on when I was a kid. The giant onomatopoeias that would fly across the scene with every punch and kick is classic. I even enjoyed (Note I say enjoy not that I thought they were incredible movies) a few of the old Batman movies. However, several years ago when Batman Begins came to theaters my first thought was:

"Did we really need another Batman movie?"

As such I vowed not to watch the movie. Despite the great reviews, the recommendations of friends, and the like I never watched that movie. Now here is the sequel, and I still have no desire to see a Batman movie. In fact I ended up staying away from the theaters in general.

Despite my pariah status at work among the fans of the winged-one. I have to admit there are some people who are like me and are not standing in line to get tickets to this movie. Friends of mine who are spent the weekend agreeing that we would rather watch any other movie. Yes, I was even willing to go see Mamma Mia instead of the caped-crusader. Thankfully, I ended up not seeing that movie either.

So do not bother asking me if I loved The Dark Knight as much as you did, or the millions of other people who saw it. Instead I spent the people with a couple of people love. (Something I feel would have been worth standing in line for)

And I have no regrets.


~~

1 comment:

Megan said...

I really think it boils down to you being more of a Marvel girl than a DC girl. :)