Friday, December 7, 2007

Our Christmas But Not Your Christmas

Here I am at work, filing and prepping ads for the artists when I start to hear a weather report over the loudspeaker. I even asked my coworker if I was hearing things and she told me she heard it as well. After some time Christmas music starts to play. Steve, one of the artists, told me that the Christmas music will play until Christmas. That kind of bothered me because I was told that I cannot put up any type of Christmas decoorations because that it was not politically correct, but the company can play Chrismas music for the next 4 weeks.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the Christmas music. Its really kind of cheery at this time of year. So to help me get into the Christmas mood I had Steve make me a Christmas tree to put up in my work area. If anyone complains then I will be more than happy to also put up a Menorah, but I refuse to put up a Kinara. Because Dr. Karenga's intentions behind the "African American Holiday" goes against my beliefs. However, thats another blog for another day.

This Christmas is like alot of other Christmas past. It just seems like the magic of the season isn't like the way it use to be. I started thinking about this as Kat had told me that once again she feels down as she usally does this time of year. She talked of how she missed the Christmas of her childhood, so full of wonder and excitement. The more I think about it the more I wonder about this phenomenon. The loss of the magic and I wonder if maybe its our own faults.

As children everything excited us. Children could do so much with a cardboard box, so when theres a holiday with lights and songs and all that sparkle would be awesome. Not to mention the role that adults would play in pushing the holidays. Encouraging children to write letters to Santa. Now its up to us. We have to put the effort into finding ways to make the season meanignful to ourselves. Some people don't figure that out until they have their own kids and its time they made the effort for their kids. However, at this stage for myself and most of my friends we have to make this season about something for ourselves. Between work and school and trying to figure things out, ew leave really little time to think about the season.

And there is the religious aspect of it. Those who know me would ask, what about your faith? I think even that gets taken for granted, and I'm talking about myself as well. Sometimes its so wasy to reflect on a nativity, but then quickly forget as I walk away. Theres alot for me to think about. This is only the beginning.

Back to work. I have to prep some ads and Jeff is bugging for a letter or something.

~MUAH~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Side Note: My boss's boss complained about the music so there is no more Christmas music. He looks like a Scrooge.

No comments: