Monday, November 17, 2008

Where There's Smoke...


Santa Clarita Smoke
Originally uploaded by Rick O!
Smoke fills the air, ash covers my car. It must mean one of two things. Either I have been transported back to Sicilia and Mt. Etna (checking....nope still here.) or there are some wildfires somewhere. Anyone watching the news and he continued coverage of "FIRESTORMS!!!" would know that it 's the latter.

One would think that after living in SoCal for as many years as I have that I would grow accustomed to the acrid air as wildfires rage on, much like how I grew accustomed to the plumes of smoke from that active volcano years ago. However, this is not the case. I am coughing and wheezing and my chest hurts. Ehhhh.

Then there's the driving. It's almost like the fire is right in front of the drivers. I mean, seriously, I left for work on time and I ended up 3 minutes late. Cars crept along the freeway for no apparent reason, other than the clouds of smke. Not don't get me wrong. I'm all for safety and everything, but visibility of the road and other cars was not affected by the smoke. Yet, some drivers felt the need to let their odometers drop to 40.

All in all I feel restless and icky because of the fires. I took several pictures of my own over there weekend and I'll post those shortly.

~~

No comments: