Sunday, January 8, 2012

Surly Sanrio





I have to admit a slight addiction.

I LOVE Sanrio.

Hello Kitty, Chococat, Kerropi, especially Hello Kitty.

Most of my friends would claim this is not much of a news flash. From the Hello Kitty check card, to my Hello Kitty purse, I am a walking ad for all things Sanrio. Not long ago, I posted a picture of myself as a child pushing some Hello Kitty toy. Evidence that this love can be blamed in my mother.
But I digress.

Recently, I have been on the hunt for two Hello Kitty objects. A particular wallet which I have been recently told has been discontinued and a case for my lovely MacBook pro. I have given on the search for the wallet but the search for the case continues. Best Buy carries Hello Kitty laptop cases but the designs are quit flimsy and several of Best Buy's inventory already contains scratches and missing details.

Today I returned to a Sanrio shop at a mall I usually peruse. In the past, I noticed the woman working at the counter would not be the most pleasant. In fact, positive customer service appeared to be a meaningless phrase to her. She would talk down to customers, constantly snap her gum and give the overall impression that she would rather be anywhere except the store. As I searched thought the Sanrio electronics accessories, I came across the perfect Hello Kitty case. I LOVED it! After some examining and comparison, I was ready to make my purchase. The older woman in front of me leaned in a cane as she asked about the staples for a Hello Kitty stapler. The girl at the counter gave very curt responses while she texted on her iPhone. It was like she could not be bothered by the woman who was becoming very frustrated.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people in retail/sales who do not treat customers with respect. Now more than ever, consumers have to think twice when deciding to spend. I have encountered racist sales reps who belittled me, snotty sales reps who acted as if I did not deserve to be in their store. Despite the color of my skin, or my economic background, my money is the same green as any other. As such, I should be treated with the same respect. For any stores that did not feel the same, I would hit them where it hurts: by refusing to spend a dime in their store.

Returning to the incident at the Sanrio store. After witnessing the sales rep's nasty attitude, as much as I loved that case, I refuse to endorse her behavior by giving up my hard earned dollars at that store. I left and have no regret. This was not the last Sanrio store in souther California and I may still be on the search for a case. However, I stand firm in my belief that any person who does not treat customers well does not deserve patronage.

 ~~

 - Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone 4S

No comments: